Thursday, September 11, 2014

Handmade Art Journals

I've been playing around with paints and papers again. Papers and paints just go together like peanut butter and jelly!

A few years ago I made a couple journal covers and then there they sat on my shelf. I used up wrapping papers, vintage music, library cards, buttons, invitations and more. I sewed them up on the sewing machine and added a pile of various papers for the insides.

Until this week when I added a flower to one.

I also worked with a new size, making front and back covers from a children's dictionary book. I added paints, various scraps and a piece of netted yarn to close it. This one just has watercolor papers inside. I used purple, which is a color I don't prefer but I think it was perfect for this particular piece.

I watched a youtube video to learn the coptic stitch. Part 1 and Part 2. It wasn't too bad if you follow along. A few places I pulled too hard and it ripped just a bit but is still attached fine.

These two I completed for some friends but I think I'll finish one the other square ones for myself! So fun to play and sketch in. The others will be heading to Etsy.

 

No comments: