Sunday, January 19, 2014

Messy Cardboard Christmas Ornaments

I do know Christmas is over. But I'm sitting here watching football games with hubby. For some reason he likes watching them with me, says I ask lots of questions and make unusual observations. Apparently he forgets being around a toddler for 10 hrs straight and how fun all the questions are NOT! But to each his own. Anyway, sifting through my photos while watching and found these of Christmas ornaments I made for my Ladies Night Out group of ladies. They seemed to enjoy them.
I started with regular cardboard. We have enough Amazon boxes laying around from Christmas present orders. I used a mason jar to make the circle and ripped off the top layer of cardboard. I'm sure you've used this technique, if not, you should. Each time it rips differently. Makes for messy but unique backgrounds.
I picked a few favorite colors to swipe on the ornaments. Easy peasy.


I had these little wooden people I painted and glittered for another project that didn't work out so I'm using them here. Added cute little glittered wings creating angels.
Here's where the ornaments went wacky. I didn't have a plan, as usual. So I started throwing scraps of fabric and lace at it. This seemed to be the arrangement we thought sucked the least (the teen was helping me decide. She gets irritated by indecision. Children just go with the flow don't they?!) The stars were an experiment. I have ledger paper made of vellum type material. I just drew a star shape with glue and glittered it. A sequin for the middle seemed to work. I sewed it on to the cardboard shape. I sewed the angel to the cardboard shape around her neck which also caught up all the lace and attached it.
I was struggling with what to write on the ornaments and how, but hit upon the idea of making a mini banner. I think I saw something similar on Pinterest. Cute idea. Using scrapbook paper, pens and thread and needle.
I glittered all over the cardboard shape to give them a bit of glam.
Here's the finished ornaments. I added simple yarn ties. They came out a little crazy and messy but it's the style I was feeling that day.
To pack up the ornaments for gifties I swiped paint on white bags, stamped 3 angels, glued on gathered crepe leftover from another project and cut a tree shape out of mat board and covered it with wrapping paper.

No comments: